Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus Go 'Round and 'Round

Jack is well into the 4th week of school and loving every minute of it. Four weeks ago none of us were sure that we would be able to make it through the first day of school let alone a full year of school! Bottom line- Jack loves to sleep in, take his time to think about what to eat while watching TV, eventually deciding on the right well-balanced breakfast (which always includes at least 2-5 slices of bacon), and then - if the sun and moon are in alignment- get dressed and ready for school. Because of this laid back lifestyle Jack has, his mother suffered through many a sleepless night worrying and stressing over "how am I going to get this child out of bed and to school by 8:25?" Weeks before school started I attempted in vain to get him to bed early every night, just so he could sleep in until 8 or 8:30 the very next morning. More stress followed by lots of threats of no TV, cancelling after school activities, etc. nothing seemed to motivate the sleepy child into going to bed early and getting up when I told him to. But on the morning of August 25th, something clicked!!! It was like Jack circadian rhythms clicked overnight and there he was at 7:10, ready to eat breakfast, get dressed, and walk to school (?)!Mommy problem #2- For those of you who don't know, you can see Jack's school from our backyard. Jack has had it stuck in his head since we told him that he would attend Reagan Elementary that he was going to ride his bike (I told him that the training wheels probably wouldn't win him any popularity points) or walk (much cooler) to school. The problem is that even though we can see the school it requires a long walk down a very busy street with no sidewalks. In the past I had mentioned to other mothers and my husband that the bus seems like a good alternative to the school zone traffic, thus making a less hectic morning for mom. I think Steve (Steve is the protective, fair, nurturing parent, I am the one that says suck it up and figure it out quick because you are going to do it NOW) said something to the tune of "if riding the bus is anything like I remember- no way." I was a bus rider, I always was until I had friends that could drive me to school. I don't remember bad things happening on the bus, but I was naive and blind. I started my research early, I learned the bus route to and from school, I watched to see what time the bus came to our stop after school, I timed my travel time to and from school in the mornings and afternoons, and then armed with all the facts I proposed to Steve the answer to my morning madness- the bus. Steve's response "SURE! I think he should ride the bus! You are going to pick him up and drop him off at the bus stop right? You will be on time right? Does Jack want to ride the bus?" "What? Yes! Yes! YES!" This was way too easy, I didn't even have to use any of my research or facts to support my argument! The bus is everything I hoped for and more, even though I was late picking him up after school the first day! Jack met some friend from his class on the bus, who save him a seat and play with him before school starts. I am able to get Abby to school on time. AND guess who is the one watching the clock every morning to be sure he isn't late to the bus, because he doesn't want his mom to drive him to school- JACK!!!

2 comments:

Mama Lou said...

I do remember a fight on the bus... a girl punching a boy. Oh wait that was me punching that Ryan kid in his face! Jerk.
I think it is amazing that Mr. Sleep-In actually gets up now!

Rachel said...

UHHH No! I think that was a bus ride after I stopped riding the bus. I do remember that though. Cool!