Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Will Never Forget

In my former life I was a Social Science teacher, I enjoyed teaching my students about what it means to live in a democracy and how truly lucky we are to live in the USA by digging through the history that we learned. I vividly remember one fateful morning in September 2001, pregnant and always tried I was taking my time to get to school (for some reason I didn't have to be there until after 10 am). As I blew my hair dry in the bathroom I listened to Katie Couric and Matt Lauer live on the television- odd- they are never live on the West Coast. I went to the other room to my utter horror to find that I group of crazy people hijacked planes and flew them into the Twin Towers in New York City, the Pentagon Building in Washington D.C., and a field in Pennsylvania. Disbelief fell over me, what do I do? Steve was on his way to San Francisco for meetings, I recalled in the back of my head something my 8th grade US History, Mr. Kent told me about when he was a kid about the Kennedy assassination and being released to go home from school. I had to go to school! At school I switched on the TV in my classroom, and attempted to pull it together enough to review the lesson that I would be teaching my class in less then an hour- "What is democracy? And what does it mean to you?". Mr. Kent's voice resonated in my head, "I remember seeing all of the teachers crying when Kennedy was shot." For those of you who know me well I am probably one of the least emotional people you know- I don't cry, I laughed at my mom during countless Disney movies for crying. As my student piled into my classroom most of them had looks of relief that II had the TV on- I am not sure if it was the relief of "at least we can stay connected" or of "YEAH, I can go back to sleep." My students asked a few questions about the news and about what were would be doing in class that day, some were afraid, others angry, and all of them confused. So with Mr. Kent still in my head and tears in my eyes I started class. Seven years later I don't remember what happened after I started class some how I was able to fill 88 minutes. What I do remember is one of my students, an Ashley (there were 4 in that class) came up to me with tears in her eyes and thanked me for teaching her something that day and for making her feel safe in a time of uncertainty. What more could a teacher ask for? I had done my job. Better yet on that day my students taught me something, that I will never forget that school is a place to be safe, secure, and welcomed, for many of them they came to school that day for answers and comfort- just like I had. In closing I would like to remember our fallen heroes, specifically the young men from Clovis (a few I knew as boys) Marine Cpl. Jeremiah Baro, Marine Lance Cpl. Tony Butterfield, Senior Airman Nick Eischen, Marine Lance Cpl. Jared Hubbard, Army Spc. Nathan Hubbard, Army Pfc. Rowan Walter, Army Cpl. Mike Rojas, and Army Sgt. Steve Packer. All of these young men and countless others have given their lives to protect our freedom. I would also like to recoginize my cousin, 1LT Mollie Keith currently stationed in Iraq, a day does not go by that I don't think of you- thank you for everything you and your troops are doing to protect our country from another tragedy like September 11, 2001. I am so proud of each of you! For more information about the Clovis boys, read the article below- http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-05-26-clovis_N.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your article.Loved the insigt into you as a person,wife and mother. It makes me proud to have as part of our family.