Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A "Wimpy" Party...

Jack is infatuated with the "Diary of the Wimpy Kid" books. I decided that a "wimpy" party could possibly be the best 8 th birthday party EVER... but I was missing one thing... SUPPLIES! I am sure that I am not the only one who received the all too timely party supply catalogs in the mail. Every party you could possibly imagine right there at your fingertips. Not so for the wimpy set. AGHHHH! What will a desperate mother do who has less than 7 days to the party, who has not every read one of the books?
CREATE HER OWN SUPPLIES!!!
I started with wimpifying my child.

Then I dreamed the best cake EVER! A Wimpy Jack on the cake not too hard- right? The friendly baker at my local grocery store was all too happy to indulge me with my dream of a fudge piped cake of Wimpy Jack.

Then I used the same image and made labels for brown paper goodie bags. On Tuesday I may or I may not have dropped everything and read the original Diary in less than an hour. I needed ideas for goodie bag favors, I got them alright! I even came up with a Goodie Bag Challenge.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Goodie Bag Challenge All of the contents of this bag somehow relate to the Wimpy Kid stories, do you know how? 1. Greg and Rowley like to use this with their Big Wheel. 2. Fregley's favorite candy. 3. Greg could have woren this with his Halloween costume. 4. Grandma's favorite junk food. 5. Are you "it"? Cross your fingers to avoid the "touch". 6. Greg didn't want to miss throwing these at Patty Farrell "Dorothy". 7. Safety Patrol always gets this before homeroom. 8. ZOO-WEE MAMA! Jack is 8!

(Contents of the bag- Apple, Hot Chocolate pack, a miniature football, jellybeans, Cheese Its, M&Ms, a pirate tattoo, Sour Licorice)

On the day of Jack's first party, I decided that the cousins needed a party favor. I made a last minute run to Target with $5 and an idea. I came out quite with 5 of those cool, retro notebooks, some change, and a feeling of satisfaction. This is what I came up with... Pretty cute right?

Ultimately having nothing to start with resulted in me being VERY happy about all the ideas that I was able to come up with (on pretty short notice) for the best 8 year old boy that I know. Love you Jack!

No comments: