Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Opposites...

My children are the textbook examples of Alfred Adler's birth order theory (one of my favorite AP Psychology teaching days). While I know I may live to regret this one day the morning routine is a perfect example of Adler's birth order and personality traits.
Jack is forced to wake up by 7:07 (or as he would say he is rudely pulled from the comforts of his bed) to get dressed. Clothes that I have selected the night before, Jack usually puts whatever I have selected for him to wear as slow as possible. Abby is allowed to sleep in until 7:30, when she gets to mosey out of her room with a blanket over her head demanding that no one look at her (I think she has x-ray vision).
Jack gets no breakfast until he is dressed for school. Jack eats Cheerios nearly everyday. If I let him he would still eat them like a toddler, I make him eat them with a spoon and milk. Abby dines in her pajamas, with her blanket and is usually accompanied by a doll or stuffed animal. Abby is guaranteed to demand pancakes or waffles with extra syrup for dipping.
After a trying meal, Jack and Abby are sent to clean up for school (or that day's activities). Jack is forced to do much of the prepping on his own or to turn to his father for help (thank God for that guy! What is that lady with 14 children going to do with all those kids every morning???). While I bathe, dress, and get Abby ready. Guilt sets in because I remember making Jack dress himself for school when he was 3 and his sister was a new born- poor kid, his sister is kind of a P.I.T.A.
The last 10 minutes of the morning before everyone heads off to their respective places. I try to remind Jack that he should always do his best, listen to his teacher, and to have a good day at school. While on the days that Abby goes to school I basically push her into the classroom with thoughts of "don't bite anyone" running through my head.
My poor kids... they have no hope with me as their mother. At least their dad has the foresight to start a college fund and a therapy fund for them both.

No comments: