Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Those were the days...

College. I loved college. I realize I say this in retrospect, but I truly believe that I loved college. Life was different then, easier. I was lucky enough to go far away from home to experience higher education, and experience I did!
I went to parties. I danced. I met new interesting people (some of whom are still consider my very best friends). I laughed. I travelled (not enough but I saw things that I had never seen before). I learned about things that I never knew existed. I sang. I learned to talk in front of a class of my peers, and that the key to speaking in front of people is to be assertive and unwavering and most everyone will believe what you are saying. I slept. I learned to study. I learned to write better. I drank. I learned that using my time effectively always results in better grades. I learned about new cultures and people. I learned to pull all nighters when I didn't use my time effectively. Most importantly I learned about myself.
If only I knew then what I know now maybe I would have savored those four years rather than chomp right through them, in a hurry to get on with my life. I think I would remember more. I would have realized that there is no hurry to get out because it really does take 10 years to pay off your student loans (and if you do the math you will be 32 and a stay-at-home mom with no income when you make the final payment to the government for your education). I would have travelled more. Laughed more. Studied more. Listened better. Worked harder. Danced more. Used my credit card less(that's for you Steve!). Drank less.
What about you? Is there a time in your life you wish you could go back and do over?

No comments: